Champions League Semi Final Amidst A Cloud of AshBy: Marco | April 18th, 2010
As a giant cloud of ash blankets much of Western Europe I begin my new tenure as writer of the Champions League Blog here at theoffside. Having been a long time reader and contributor to various blogs around this site, I’ve decided to throw my hat into the ring and offer some of the readers a little of my insight into Europe’s Premier Club Tournament.
My objective with this blog will be to drum up insightful debates on the game we love. Colourful and critical acclaim/criticism will be welcome as long as we keep the discussion Football oriented.
To start things off, I will have an article up in the next day or so with a brief introduction to what we can expect this week as the Champions League Semi Final get rolling.
If you’ve been under a rock over the last couple of weeks, allow me to bring you up to speed.
1. Barcelona may be better then we remember. A little guy named Messi is proving week in and week out in all competitions why he is currently regarded as the best talent in the world. I reckon Arsenal won’t soon forget what this guys all about.
2. While Mourinho’s INTER has been usurped by Roma for the hotly contested Serie A lead, in Europe Inter look confident behind the fortified wall propped up by Lucio and Samuel.
3. Bayern Munich seem to be on a high following their defeat of Manchester United in the Quarters, albeit, I reckon their defence looks a little suspect, the speed and creativity of Robben has propelled them thus far, and I don’t see a reason it can’t carry them further along the road to Madrid.
4. Les Gones have continuously surprised. It was first the beating of ‘Favorites’ Real Madrid that shook the foundation of this competition, but they then followed that victory up with another convincing performance against fellow countrymen Bordeaux. This team is not to be under estimated.
5. For the first time in the last number of years an English team does not feature in a Champions League Semi Final. This alone, adds a breath of fresh air to these fixtures.
Finally people will ask whether some of these teams have a legitimate claim to be featured in the Semi Finals of this year’s Champions League. Those questions and more will be answered, as ever, by the product produced on the pitch beginning this week.
Stay tuned for a brief look at the two fixtures and what to expect.
*This just in, UEFA has deemed that this week’s draws will take place as planned*